Sunday, February 9, 2014

Oatmeal with berries and almond

This is almost a silly recipe! But I insist on posting it because I have decided to incorporate fruits and nuts in our food and this is a simple beginning. So, from when I was little, I have not shared the fascination and craving for fruits that I have for veggies. The main reason being that it is really hard to get the perfectly ripe fruit which taste like heaven but even a bit under or over ripe is so hard for me to eat. I am extremely sensitive to sour-ness and this makes me a real fussy girl when it comes to eating fruits. Now, here in the US, I am getting to try so many new fruits but most I don't like to eat on their own. Solution, I realized that cooking them cuts their tartness and they add a splendid flavor! I have tried apples and nuts in salads and now berries in oats and "sajjige" ( semolina pudding). Icing on the cake is my son loves it this way too. So next few recipes will be dedicated to fruits mainly and nuts too. Nuts for my son as he doesn't enjoy crunchiness in his food. So I have to come up with innovative ways to feed him nuts.
Oatmeal is Aarvin's favorite breakfast. To make it rich and delicious, I have added black berries, raisins and almonds.


For this you will need

1Cup - Oats (I have used traditional rolled oats)
A pinch of Cinnamon powder
5-6 - Blackberries
10-12 - Raisins
Two Spoons - Almond Powdered/ 4-5 whole almonds
3/4th Cup - Milk

Method
Heat the milk with the oats for a couple of minutes. Add all the above ingredients. I cut the berries so the whole porridge turns pink. Both Aarvin and me love colors in our food! Cook for about 8-10minutes and serve warm. For the little one, I add honey, generously on top!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment