Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Date and walnut pancakes

 

One evening, when I was racking my brains about what snack to give my two year old, I came up with this. Well, truth be told, I thought about good old pancakes and then I wanted to make it yummier and healthier. I scoured my refridgerator and saw I had some wonderful dates and walnuts.
 
My two year old loves anything sweet, just like his mom :) But nuts are mostly a no, unless powdered! Walnuts are especially great for everyone and I thought what better way than to slip it in with something sweet!
 
 

For this you will need -

Flour - 5 tbspns
Egg - 1
Dates - 4
Walnuts - 4
Sugar - 2 tspns
Cinnamon powder - 1/4 tspn
Baking soda - a pinch (optional)
Salt - a pinch
Milk as required

To make it -

Grind pitted dates with walnuts and a little bit of milk. Take the flour, sugar, cinnamon powder, salt and baking soda in a bowl. Add one beaten egg to this and mix well. Add the ground mixture to this and give it another mix. Now add milk, if required, to bring into a batter consistency.

Heat a pan, smear some oil and pour the batter to make small pancakes. Cook on both sides and serve hot by glazing it with honey.

To add another level of flavour, take a few more walnuts and dates, chop them up. In the pan, add some sugar and the nuts. Caramelize the sugar, so it gets coated on the nuts. Sprinle these on top of the pancake!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment